Early Boating on Shadow Lake
Martin Abbott, who owned camp #8 before the Redington family, had the first inboard motorboat on the lake. These two photos come from Elizabeth Redington’s collection. Her father bought camp #8 from Arthur Bushwell in 1927 and the boat came with it. The man pictured in the boat is Carl Abbott, Martin’s son. The photo is c.1922, the year that Abbott sold the camp to Bushwell.
The first sail boat was launched on Stone Pond in June 1900 by LL. And Frank Drew.
– Saint Johnsbury Caladonian archives Glover News June, 1900