On the 4th of July, 2014, the Glover Historical Society dedicated a new granite monument at the Shadow Lake Fishing Access commemorating the village that was known as “Slab City.” From the 1820s to the 1930s, this industrial village located at the outlet of Shadow Lake (then called Stone Pond) was the home of several water-powered mills and factories. Officially named South Glover, the village was the home of a general store with a post office, a school and many homes and farms. (Read more in the book about Slab City)
About fifty people, many of them Shadow Lake summer residents, attended the unveiling of the monument. The Glover Historical Society thanked the many people responsible for the installation of the monument: Gary Blow, Don Gilman, Andy Fournier, Mark Gherardi, John Rodgers, Francis Tash, Bob Trottier, Joe Zacharer and the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department.
The monument sits on a base cut from granite found in the old quarry on Quarry Hill in Slab City and includes a laser-etched image of a c.1910 postcard, cut in black granite from India, showing the village from across Stone Pond.
– etching executed by Buttura & Gherardi Granite Artisans, Barre, Vermont.